Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Presentation Reflection

As weird as it may sound, I have always loved giving presentations. I love sharing my ideas with others. Hence, when I was told that we had to give a presentation for our essays, I was very excited. However, as I was swamped with work then, I became very nervous. I was afraid that I did not have enough time to prepare and practice.

On the day of the presentation, I was still a nervous wreck. Although I feel that I managed to prepare well for the presentation, I was still worried. It has been a long time since I gave an individual presentation. I was worried that I would not be able to articulate my thoughts or remember my points.

I was quite comfortable during the presentation itself. My classmates were very encouraging as they constantly smiled and nodded. I felt less intimidated. I could remember my lines well. I also managed to guide the audience through the whole presentation. I made the presentation simple, light and easy to understand.

However, I noticed that during the presentation itself, I kept referring to my script. I felt that this disrupted the eye contact that I had with my audience. It must have been awkward for them watching me fiddling with my script. I should have trusted myself more and be more confident. After all, I did not require the script. The script was already in my head.


Lastly, I also felt that I was too serious. I rarely smiled. I felt that instead of a presenter, I was more of a debater. In the future, I hope that I will be able to smile more. This will not only make me feel calmer but will also make the audience feel more comfortable. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Diyanah,

    Here's our feedback!

    Great slides with simple transition that is pleasing to the eyes.
    Usage of pictures are appropriate and able to capture audience’s attention.
    Presentation is easy to follow and has a good logical flow.
    Good projection of voice and pace.
    Occasionally looked at notes.
    Overall, excellent and convincing presentation!

    Joleen and Xuan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolene and Xuan!

      Thank you! I so was afraid that I was speaking too fast. Phew!

      Your presentations were excellent too!

      Diyanah

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Diyanah, for this detailed, honest reflection, and for the very fine presentation. It's clear that you know how you succeeded, and what you can do to improve further. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Blackstone,

      Thank you! Yes, I have learnt a lot from the essay presentations. By identifying our strengths and weaknesses, we are able to learn from our mistakes :)

      Diyanah

      Delete
  3. Hello Diyanah!

    Great work in your presentation. I think that your presentation was very clear and it flows very well. Your slides and the words you say go well together with the animation. There is very little fillers and voice is clear. However, you kept looking at your cue card even though you knew everything in your head. Be confident and everything will be very good :D

    Javier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier!

      Thank you! Yes I agree with you that I need to be more confident! Thanks for showing me the video before class. It calmed my nerves a little bit. Hehe.

      By the way, your presentation was good too! You were very confident and engaging! Good job on that! :)

      Diyanah

      Delete