Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Critical Reflection

I used to be skeptical of the usage of peer reviews. I personally felt that peer reviews were ineffective in vetting a student’s work. I thought that as peer reviews are normally done by our peers, we would not be able to get constructive comments. At that time, I felt that only a teacher was capable enough to review the work of students as they generally have more experience.

However, after attending the ES1102 module, my perception of peer reviews changed. In the first lesson, we were separated into our various blogging groups. After each written work, we had to provide feedback to 2 members of our blogging group and to another classmate. We also did pair 
peer reviews and presentation reviews as well.

This was when I personally witnessed how effective peer reviews were. Because everyone has their own set of perceptions, viewpoints and believes, it is useful to engage in peer reviews to widen our scope.  Constant feedbacks provided by my blogging group, tutor and other classmates aided me in further understanding both my strengths and weaknesses.

I found it very exciting to receive through blog comments. Whenever I see a notification from blogger on my phone, I would automatically log into blogger to check the comments left by my tutor and classmates. It was interesting to read these comments as most of the time I would not be able to identify the mistakes highlighted if I were to review my work myself.

I also found it very challenging to provide feedbacks to other classmates. As they write in an interesting and engaging manner, I always find myself lost in their work. It is difficult for me to spot any form of mistakes. In order to avoid this, I would read their work multiple times and sometimes I would also read it aloud to hear for any inconsistencies.

In addition to peer reviews, I also feel that tutor reviews are important. As tutors relatively have more experience, they are able to provide us with practical advice. For instance, during our presentations, Mr Blackstone shared with us useful tips and practical advices for our future presentations. As these tutors have stepped into the working world, such practical advises would be useful in preparing us for the job market.  

On the whole, I feel that ES1102’s peer review activities has changed my entire perception of peer reviews .Now, I feel that in addition to tutor feedback, peer reviews can also promote further improvements to both written work and presentations. By being critical and analytical while providing feedback to others, we are also learning and improving at the same time.







8 comments:

  1. Hi Diyanah,

    so are you feeling excited from receiving the notification of this comment that i'm making right now? HAHA. Anyway I agree with you! I tend to value tutors' feedbacks much more than my peers ones as well, cos I feel like I can never be 100% sure, just like how Brad said about the "hypo-correct" (?) thing. But I'm glad we had this anyway! Cos there are still benefits to it ^^ GOOD LUCK FOR FINALS!!!

    - Daine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daine!

      *excitedly types a reply* Hahahaha

      Yup! I am sure that by now we have realised the value of peer feedback! It is not too bad after all. :)

      Good luck for your finals too! May the force be with you. Hahaha.

      Diyanah

      Delete
  2. Hi Dyanah!

    I am sure you are feeling excited upon receiving this feedback. Haha! jokes aside, I do agree with you that the peer review is very effective. This is especially so when we are all making the same mistakes. When we make the same mistake, we tend to not let anyone know because we all may feel that it is something trivial and it will be embarrassing to let others know. However, the peer review allows us to realised that we are not the only one making the same mistake and hence we are able to voice it out. Thus, i too find this very effective and it helps promote both student-student interaction and student-teacher interaction.

    All the best for your uni life :)

    Javier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier!

      Hahaha. Yes! I am excitedly typing out my reply to you. I agree with you that peer reviews make us feel better about ourselves. We realise that we are not the only one making mistakes!

      Thank you for leaving me a comment :)

      All the best for your uni life too!
      Diyanah

      Delete
  3. Hi Diyanah!

    Carrying on with the joke: Are you excited to see my comment too? Haha! XD Same as you, I used to think that peer review will not be very effective because the comments that my peers give may not be trustable as they do not have enough experience to correct someone's work. However, after going through ES1102, I realise the importance of peer reviews.

    I find myself nodding as I read your reflection, especially the part about peer reviews helping us "to widen our scope". I think this is especially true! I feel that one of the significant benefits of peer reviews is to allow us to gain more perspectives regarding a particular topic. Therefore, I am glad that we have such activities to help us improve.

    On a side note: All the best for your finals and in your university life! :D

    - Xuan -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xuan! Yes I am very excited. Hahaha!

      We both have witnessed for ourselves the effectiveness of peer reviews. Yay!

      Thank you for your kind comment! All the best and hope to see you soon :)

      Diyanah

      Delete
  4. Thanks very much, Diyanah, for this well developed and insightful critical reflection. You do a thorough job of reviewing the feedback component of our course and the way that both giving and receiving feedback can impact a student writer in refining a piece of writing in specific and enhancing critical thinking and writing skills in general. It’s also interesting that you note that initially you felt ‘skeptical’ of the prospect of getting feedback, but that after going through the course experience, you realized peer feedback can be helpful.

    Certainly, we readers can understand from this essay that you value having had the opportunity to participate in peer reviews. I’m glad you found great benefit in that. Do you think there will be a chance for you to give and get feedback from peers in other courses? In short, will there be any transfer of this 'skill' to your writing in other courses?

    Whatever the case, you’ve done very well with your writing throughout this term, and I can see lots of progress. Thank you for all the effort, Diaynah. Please enjoy the rest of your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Blackstone,

      No problem :). I do not think that there is any peer review exercise in other courses. However, I think I am able to work with my friends and do our own peer review session. Haha.

      Thank you for being such a wonderful tutor!

      Diyanah

      Delete