Sunday, September 21, 2014

An Event That Has Shaped My Life and The Person That I Have Become (Edited on 21/9/2014)

I could feel my heart palpitating. My hands that were usually dry felt moist and sticky. I could not believe that my worst fears had come true. My school principal had just told me that junior college (JC) was not the route for me and that polytechnic would be a better choice. Although he was sympathetic and attempted to reassure me, all I could hear was him telling me that my results were not good enough and that I was forced to leave.

It was on this day that I felt that I lost my balance in life and had fallen into a bottomless pit. For months, I refused to meet outsiders as I did not want them to know that I was kicked out of school. I was afraid and struggled to face reality. 

However, one day, I realised that moping around will not make things better. I sought for external help and support from family members, friends and school counselors. It was then I decided to take a leap of faith and applied for Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP), Diploma in Business Studies. Although I was afraid, I forced myself to try. This was the only way for me to regain my self-confidence.

While in NP, I used my experience in JC to motivate me to work harder than I have ever had. When I manage to pass my first examination in NP, I was elated. Slowly, I regained my self-confidence and began to feel better about myself.

Everyone is bound to have challenges in their lives. Without challenges, life would be mundane. By overcoming challenges, we are able to learn new skills and life experiences that shape us into better individuals. I learnt all this from my experience in JC. Through this, I became a more resilient person. I no longer give up easily and would constantly try to achieve better results.  Now, whenever I face uncertainties, I will remember the time I managed to stand on my two feet again. I believe that as long as I continue to try, I will be able to achieve anything.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Diyanah!

    Thank you for sharing the toughest part of your life with us! I love your post in a sense that, I can feel the mood in within your passage. It made me feel like I can literally feel how upset you were when you were not able to continue JC, and subsequently felt elated when you passed the entry exam for NP!
    So proud of you for fighting your way through the difficult times and striving in NUS now!

    All the best!

    Love,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan!

      Thank you. It was a difficult time for me but I am glad that I did not give up!

      Let's be strong together! If the going gets tough, the tough gets going :)

      All the best to you too! <3

      Love,
      Diyanah

      Delete